Sunday, January 6, 2008

2008. Can wait.

We are finally home! We spent three weeks back in the northern tundra, a few days on the slowly warming streets of chicago, and about 10 hours traveling yesterday (train, bus, bus). I didn't post at all over vacation, because i basically threw up in my mouth when the thought of "responsibility" blipped across my subconscious. But understand, dear readers, Christmas break was more wonderful than I could have ever expected, although I was salivating for home by day eight. Why? Kitties (thanks, Nanny Noah and Dana).

Top 5 Highlights of 2007 Wunderbar Winter Wacation.
1. Duh, family. Kate (holiday running partner!) and Aaron, Dave and Jess, Liz and Scott/Aaron, Leah and Ben. I digress. We spent about 75% of our time with blood relatives, and we have no complaints. Other than we might have worn out our welcome. In several places. (below: Great Aunt Leona, Grandma Meberg, Leah and Ben)
Leona and Grandma Meberg.

2. Julia! Gwen! Morgan! Plus all the marrieds (Moriah's embroidered dog purse), Tim's music pals, etc. But I didn't get to see my friend Liz as much as I wanted to. (below: Sara welcomes 2008 with a smile)
Love that Watson.

I planned to share a table with Liz at the VFW, but instead her mountain of friends from Fargo South joined her before I could make my move and in retaliation she tragically chastized me for my relationship with a local folk singer (not my fault). However, I attempted to keep the bridge of friendship alive by sending her a small amount of my mom's cookies and a christmas photo from 2006. They are the only ones we have, okay? It's the thought, not the year. For an audio representation of Liz's reaction to this excuse, please click here.

3. Food. According to Jo Ann's scale (admittedly 2 pounds heavier than her doctor's scale) i weighed 168 pounds. Officaly, the heaviest I have ever been. What is the culprit??? Okay, my own will power. But also: Dad's jerky, cooking from two moms and one dad, MOUNTAINS of cookies from momma Claudia, soups and homemade CARE-a-mel and PEA-can turtles from Liz, as well as a trip to Alladin's for spinach pies with Julia, Buffalo Wild Wings with Meberg cousins for trivia, and a couple humus wraps at Atomic with Gwen. And lots of beer. And drinks. So, obviously, not my fault, just everyone else's.
Root beer for the kids.

Side note: my sister-in-law Liz (pictured below) can eat more than a mountain lion. And she's TINY. I think about 85% of her body mass is pure muscle (hope that is complimentary, don't really know what "body mass" means).Liz hits the living room slopes.

4. Planning for the future.
Taking a tour of MPR and American Public Media with Aunt Catherine was amazing. We got to see Gary Eichten in the broadcast booth, saw their music library, and just basically salivated. Did I mention that I want to live in public radio? Is that possible? I also realized that, duh, Morgan works for a public affiliate in Fargo, so she's also helping me reach my dreams.

Also, we checked out a couple apartments while staying with friend Kaye in Chicago. So much fun! Became attached to her neighborhood, access to the blue line, and did not love the snowy sidewalks. Was amazing to visit a Kentucky girl stuck in a midwest winter. Only thing that could have made the visit better would be Mai returning and joining us from Tokyo. Damn you, multi-cultural friends! Below is a car parked outside the perfect apartment we saw, which included a next-door market with hand-dipped chocolate covered marshmallows. Droooool.
Let's get an apartment here!

5. Inspiration. Thank you Julia, Joshua, David, all Fargo friends.
Soon to come: my own television sculpture/installation. This photo is from Joshua and David's apartment, natch.
Nature vs. Apartment.

Coming soon...New Years resolutions.

2 comments:

Lyz said...

In our defense: That is ROOT beer Aaron is feeding to Ben. Thanks for ALL the explaining details of that staged photo, Ruthie!:)

Do a girl a favor and add my blog to your list of favorite things! I promise I'll keep updating with toddler-isms.:)

nydampress said...

I love that you spelled caramel and pecan phonetically. Well, that is how I say it anyways :)
It was so super great to see you this winter! And it was a pleasure to cover some miles with you by foot. If your in laws get a couple more dogs then perhaps we could rig up sled and run behind that. Iditarod 2008 here we come.
:)