Saturday, May 16, 2009

What can $20 buy in Whiting, IN?



Kaye and I drove to Whiting, IN today to take part in Garage Mahal,a weekend where over 200 garage sales spill onto the streets of a small town of bungalows just south of the Horseshoe Casino. We saved six dollars by getting lost and using our noggins/street sense to get to our destination, the distribution point of maps/sale descriptions, without using the tollway.

Although we were late, the community thoughtfully left maps in a cardboard box on the corner with a heavy rock on top to make sure they didn't blow away.I spent $20 in total, and Kaye and I both had to call it quits because the car was full of crystal, lamps, paintings, and paper coasters.

Here is a close up on some of the items:




Six little glass shot glasses. Perfect for tequila-loving in-laws visiting.




I really love the colors and lines in the left frame --- it's a lithograph print, and the trees make me think of the illustrations on the cover of my family's set of the Chronicles of Narnia. The center frame is dirty and needs some cleaning, but it's another print, but very charming and black and white, something that is lacking on the walls in this apartment. The painting on the right is the woman that lived in the house we were at. The estate sellers told us that a man came by and bought all other photos and paintings of her "cause he loved her, and I was like...weiiiiiird." I love that she almost looks too perfect, but there's something slightly human about her in the nose.

Yay for garage sales! Tim is going to be so happy.

Not really.

3 comments:

JJ and EJ said...

Oh Ruth - you did much better than I did! I want to go to Garage Mahal!

Kaye said...

Yay for Garage Mahal. I am still coveting my $8 vintage Coach purse :)

Liz Stine said...

i LOVE the blue hors d'oeuvres/dessert stand. what fun!