There are a few things that I consider neccessary when making a home for yourself. They are, in no particular order: your own washer and dryer, a clothes line, a garden, a Kitchenaide mixer, a sewing machine, and a piano.
I'm sure there are more things I could add to that list, but today I am taking one off! Tim and I purchased a piano for $50 off of craigslist, and we didn't even get murdered in the process, so stop trying to scare me, Today Show. We actually purchased it from a very nice young lady from Ukranian Village, just 10 minutes away, who had found the piano abadoned in her back room by the previous tenants in the apartment. Moving the piano actually took way more money and energy (in scheduling, not muscle power) than finding the piano. After moving the piano down a rickety stair case for two flights, across Humboldt Park, and up another two flights of stairs in the rain, Tim paid the movers $150+tip and offered them a beer. They gladly accepted the bottles and then promptly exited the apartment. Heh, poor Tim, drinking alone on a Tuesday.
The piano is in decent shape, not counting the wobbly front legs and scotch tape that has been stuck on the keys. We're hiring a tuner to come in early June, and I'm so excited! I've already been able to play a bit because it's not dramatically out of tune. However, we're not really sure how to arrange everything...it's very screwy.
But whatever! We have a piano!!!
Friday, May 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Congrats! You should upload a video of you playing it, I'd like that :)
It was so great seeing you!
Geez. We've been married for almost 10 years and are owners of our second house, and still have only 3 of the 6 requirements for a home. AND, we also tend to share those criteria. Bummer.
Congrats on the piano! We hope to put ours under the wedding photos - when we get one.
BRAVO on getting it actually moved in!
YAY for a piano!! We have one waiting for us... but that's definitely no the same!
*not* the same... oops!
it's getting tuned on june 1st...yesssssssssssss!
Post a Comment