Five great things about running with Ruth.
1. I got new running shoes. I wore them for the first time this morning. And wow. They have so much more support than the old shoes, which are exactly the same brand/model, but I literally RAN THEM OUT. I am THAT good.
2. I ran 9 miles last week, and I'm planning to run another 11 either tomorrow or Monday or Tuesday. If I run them on Monday or Tuesday, I can run them by the lake, and wouldn't that be nice?
3. I learned my lesson and will wear body glide on any run over 6 miles.
4. The more I run, the better my knees are. I don't even ice them (much) anymore, and when I do, I usually end up getting distracted and not running at all, like I did on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week. My knees seem to be sending secret messages to my brain, which I am not allowed to contribute to but am included in on as a third party listener: as long as she keeps running every day, we'll take it easy on her. Keep her running on boulevards, stretching, and doing lunges after every run, and we'll call it even. Sincerely, Grapefruit Knees.
5. The Fargo Marathon is in two short weeks! Ho Lee COW. I'm so excited. My brothers and my sister-in-law are all returning to Fargo to run it. I also know two first timers: Jen Collins, who is also raising money for cancer research in memory of her father; and my in-law, Jessica Hubner, all the way from southern Minnesota. Yayyyyyyy first timers! You will love it!
a. Tips for beginners --- get body glide. Put it everywhere a seam or line of fabric touches your skin, including your toes. Drink every cup of water that is handed to you. Don't let your family/friends meet you at every single mile, it will make it seem longer. Get a good nights sleep, and eat something you would normally eat for breakfast. Jog a mile before the starting line to warm up. For training, if you have one day where you could rather scoop out your eyes with a grapefruit spoon than run a mile, stay in. You'll just end up dreading every run that week. And most important...plan a day of eating and laying around after your race. AND the day of the race, at the race, wear your medal, so that other runners can congratulate you and ask you how you did. You can take it off when you get home. It's up to you if you want to wear it in the car. --- tips courtesy of Aaron Meberg, Kate Nydam Meberg, and Dave Meberg.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yay new shoes day! New shoes day is almost as much fun as new bike day, but new shoes day can happen a lot more often. Congratulations on wearing out a pair of running shoes, that's when you know you are officially a runner.
A tip I picked up this weekend as a spectator at the Nashville Marathon: write your name in BIG LETTERS on your shirt, so people can see you running by and cheer for you by name, even if they don't know you.
i like that one! but i've never done it for some reason...
Thanks for the shout out! I'm on fundraising fire, probably in part because of you.
I'm getting nervous and excited all at once. And I tried to call you to arrange a possible meet up on Friday if you are here, but you have a new phone number so you should call or email me with your new info.
Post a Comment