Aaron said,"I need you to make a cake."
I said, "Great! Do you know what type of cake she likes?"
Aaron said,"Actually, I want you to make one of those Barbie cakes. Do you know what I'm talking about?"
Of course I did, Aaron. Although my knowledge and wisdom make me seem much more worldly than I truely am, i WAS once a young girl. I was immediately transported back to Sarah Sailor's 6th birthday party, which also included swimming (oh, to be born in the summer). But the clearest memory was the barbie birthday cake her grandmother had made; a baking masterpiece where (a *cough* knock-off) Barbie stood in the middle to be revered by all, and the cake around her created a frosted skirt similar to a southern belle in a whacky baking beauty contest.
Need I say more? I stepped up to the challenge.
Here we see all 8 layers, created from two layer cakes and frosting that was made from almond and vanilla flavoring, a cup of butter, and a bag of powdered sugar. Seriously.

Then, I cut the cake using toothpicks as guides/markers (what a smart lady, that Claudia Meberg!) while mom made 4 batches of 7-minute frosting, even though it only took her 15 minutes. Doesn't quite figure, does it?

Finally, the cake was completed.
We got in the car and started driving to my sisters.
I said, "Drive, mom! DRIVE!"
She said, " 'But officer! We have to get this cake to my daughter!' "
I said, " ' How old is she? SHE'S 30! No! I swear!' "
And we all had a good laugh.

Liz loved the cake. HOPEFULLY she will post some pictures from her party that i took and include a cross section of the gooey tower of barbie. Happy Birthday, Liz! Good job, Aaron! Great party.
4 comments:
Definitely a masterpiece! Wait, I thought you said Mebergs' don't "do birthdays"? Poor Aaron, neglected on his/yours.
Perhaps you can make him a GI Joe cake next year?
Well, Kate, the Mebergs actually DO do birthdays- just not mine!:)
Dr. Aaron needs to remember to request his birthday off! AND, I did have tacos catered for the peds staff when he was working and brought the kids and a cake up for lunch. So I'm defensive about the term "neglected"! :)
But my 30th party was great, thanks to Aaron, Ruth, Mom and neighbor Crystal. What great friends and family I have.
oops, I meant Aaron Meberg, not Jost! Liz I heard you also bestowed upon him guitar hero, which hands down makes a happy birthday :)
I just wanted to create the visual of a GI Joe cake. The cake could be...the tank! Yeah a tank with little joe poking out of the top.
hey Ruth- this is super old, but I just googled myself, and this post showed up! Would you mind terribly deleting Kate's last comment? Thanks sweetie!
Post a Comment